“For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.” 1 Corinthians 2:2 (NIV)
If you’re thinking about making some New Year’s Resolutions, consider this one from The Apostle: “This year I resolve to know nothing but Christ and Him crucified.”
Paul’s message is radically simple: Salvation is in Christ alone. What does this mean?
• It’s not Christ plus your good behavior.
• It’s not Christ plus the years you taught a Bible study.
• It’s not Christ plus your tithe.
• It’s not Christ plus the church you attend.
• It’s not Christ plus the number of verses you memorize.
• It’s not Christ plus your title in the church.
• It’s not Christ plus wisdom from the latest Christian seminar.
• It’s not Christ plus a fast.
• It’s not Christ plus a good driving record.
• It’s not Christ plus well-behaved children.
• It’s not Christ plus the right job.
• It’s not Christ plus the right spouse.
• It’s not Christ plus the latest technology.
It’s simply Christ. Christ plus nothing.
That’s a message that is as right throughout the coming year as it will be in 2999.
May your new resolution for the year be nothing but Christ and Him crucified.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If you have never surrendered your life to Christ, you can start today. Simply say this prayer and your journey with Christ will begin:
Lord Jesus, I want to trust you from now on. Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. I open the door of my life and receive You as my Savior and Lord. Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Take control of my life. Make me be the person You want me to be. Thank you for enabling me to trust you in these uncertain times. Amen.
Another Sample Prayer:
Dear God, today I bring you my life, my hopes, my dreams, my deepest yearnings ... You know me intimately. You knew me even before I was formed in the womb. You called me into this world to do good and live the life I was uniquely and specifically created for. I ask for Courage and Wisdom to live this life--the life of my dreams. Show me where to start and help me be open to hearing your Voice today. I ask for a greater consciousness of your Presence, today and every day of my life. Amen.
If you prayed either of these prayers, we would love to hear from you on the form below and we would love to send you some online resources to help you in this journey that are beginning with God.