by Gail Rodgers
What do you do when you encounter a negative atmosphere? You know something has changed the moment you step into the situation. Complaints and criticism fill the air. Perhaps office or family politics, a project not going well, financial stress, tense or strained relationships. Sometimes we are powerless to change the dynamics yet we are being affected by the negative surroundings and our spirits feel the assault.
God is always faithful to answer an earnest request for wisdom. His word paints a picture of encouragement.
“But You are a shield around me, O LORD; You bestow glory on me and lift up my head.” Psalm 3:3
Here God is pictured as a shield around you, even in the negative environment. Let your heart respond:
- Ask God to shield your spirit so the earful of complaints and the harsh talk do not penetrate your heart and mind and color your own outlook.
- Ask for wisdom to respond in a manner that is fair and with kindness.
- Ask God to keep your heart soft and to help you see beyond the issues of the moment.
- Ask Him to be the one who encourages your heart and lifts your head when there is little affirmation or appreciation offered.
- Ask God to keep you mindful of His help and protection as you walk day by day in your workplace or home.
Keep a thankful heart for the Shield around you. You will get through this season and, with the Lord’s help, be sustained through this challenging time.
Father in Heaven, Thank you that You are a shield around me. Help me to rely on Your strength and protection as I face the challenging people and situations in my life today. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.
You can comment on this devotional online at: